Giving a strong recommendation for HPV vaccination at age 9 will increase vaccine completion success and prevent more cancers.
Healthcare providers should start the 2-dose series at the age 9 well visit. Starting the vaccine series and the conversation about HPV vaccination at age 9 will increase the success of completing the series by age 13.
Giving a strong recommendation at age 9 will increase vaccination success. Starting at age 9 gives health providers time to complete the HPV series before age 11 when they need to get the Tdap and MenACWY vaccines.
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) support vaccination starting at age 9. The ACIP, the CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Cancer Society (ACS), and the National HPV Vaccination Roundtable all agree that HPV vaccination can start at age 9.
Take these communications actions to help normalize HPV vaccination at age 9.
View the core messages that you can use to share the “Start at 9” messages.
Download a communications toolbox for your organization to update your messages on your website, in print, and through social channels. Each toolbox has a checklist of actions to get started and social posts, eNews blurbs, and prewritten email copy.
- Provider and Health Systems Toolbox
- Advocacy and Parent Toolbox
- Local and State Health Departments Toolbox
Share social messages from the National HPV Vaccination Roundtable all summer long to boost HPV vaccination rates.
- Facebook - facebook.com/hpvroundtable
- Twitter - twitter.com/hpvroundtable
- Instagram - instagram.com/hpvroundtable
- LinkedIn - linkedin.com/company/hpvroundtable
- YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/HPVRoundtable
Here are some useful resources to support “Start at 9” messages:
- How to Give a Strong Recommendation for HPV Vaccination
- Clinician & Support Staff Action Guides
- Evidence Summary of Age 9 Successes/Acceptance
- 2022 Preteen/Teen Vaccine Clinic Flier
- HPV Vaccination Safety Handout
- Don’t Wait to Vaccinate Flyer
- CDC Recommended Child & Adolescents Immunization Schedule
- HPV Vaccination Starting at Age 9