HPV experts from around the world see a clear path forward to eliminating cancers caused by HPV.
The National HPV Vaccination Roundtable has put together a summary outlining the possibilities and challenges of eliminating HPV cancers as a public health problem.
The U.S. can and should be one of the first countries to achieve elimination of cervical cancer, with other HPV-related cancers in males and females to follow.
Statements and Resolutions
National and international organizations have issued calls-to-action to work towards the elimination of cancers caused by HPV.
European Cancer Organization Resolution on HPV Elimination (2019)
NCI-Designated Cancer Centers Endorse Goal of Eliminating HPV-Related Cancers
International Papillomavirus Society Statement moving towards elimination of cervical cancer as a public health problem
(Draft Report) Global Strategy Towards the Elimination of Cervical Cancer as a Public Health Problem (90-70-90 plan): The World Health Organization (WHO) drafted an action plan to achieve 90-70-90 targets on HPV vaccination, and cervical cancer screening and treatment to achieve elimination of cancers caused by HPV as a public health problem.
Press Release (Aug. 19, 2020): World Health Assembly adopts global strategy to accelerate cervical cancer elimination.
EB144/(2) Agenda Item 6.5 Accelerating the Elimination of Cervical Cancer as a Global Public Health Problem
EB144/28 Agenda Item 6.5 Accelerating Cervical Cancer Elimination
UN Joint Global Programme:
- (Publication) Projected time to elimination of cervical cancer in the USA: a comparative modeling study. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30006-2/fulltext
- (Publication) Impact of HPV vaccination and cervical screening on cervical cancer elimination: a comparative modelling analysis in 78 low-income and lower-middle-income countries https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30068-4/fulltext
- (Publication) Towards the global elimination of cervical cancer. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405852119300369?via%3Dihub
- (Press Release) Health experts call for the elimination of HPV-caused cancers in Europe: The time is now! Https://www.ecco-org.eu/Global/News/Latest-News/2019/12/NEWS-Health-experts-call-for-the-elimination-of-HPV-caused-cancers-in-Europe
- (Editorial) U.S., other nations must do more to increase HPV vaccination to eliminate cervical cancer https://www.kff.org/news-summary/u-s-other-nations-must-do-more-to-increase-hpv-vaccination-to-eliminate-cervical-cancer/
- (Editorial) Global elimination of cervical cancer is achievable – with commitment. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(19)30647-3/fulltext
- (Editorial) The time is now to take a shot at eliminating six cancers caused by HPV. http://pressroom.cancer.org/HPVcancerfreelaunch
- (Publication) Impact of scaled up human papillomavirus vaccination and cervical screening and the potential for global elimination of cervical cancer in 181 countries, 2020-99: a modelling study. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(18)30836-2/fulltext
- (Press Release) American Cancer Society Launches Campaign to Eliminate Cervical Cancer. http://pressroom.cancer.org/HPVcancerfreelaunch